Making a Cyber Hud!

Gripe about why computers suck so much here

Marlyn
Poster
Poster

Making a Cyber Hud!

Post by Marlyn »

Alright, so one thing that really interests me is being able to sense things that one would not be able to normally
So I'm making a HUD of sorts which is going to overlay the readings from a bunch of sensors into my vision!

Right now my current things I wanna do are:

• Infrared camera

• Power consumption

• Creature detection

• Unusual gas/material detection

• SDR (Software Defined Radio)

• Signal detection

• Identifying leaky electronics/interference

• Some kind of ultrasonic sensor?? (not sure of the "How" on this one yet)

Marlyn
Poster
Poster

Re: Making a Cyber Hud!

Post by Marlyn »

I got SDR working at least

Gnuradio SDR is working!!
Gnuradio SDR is working!!
sdr_success.png (353.64 KiB) Viewed 4151 times

aloe
Poster
Poster

Post by aloe »

a HUD for ... irl ??? thats cool !! how would you look at it, thru a phone or tablet ? or like those screen glasses ??

Marlyn
Poster
Poster

Post by Marlyn »

I got a "Vufine" display which is a little clunky, but it's the "dumbest" eye display I could find (all the other ones are smartphones in one shape or another which clashes with my project)

aloe
Poster
Poster

Post by aloe »

oooh this things neat i kinda want one except id probably never turn off a continuous stream of television once i got it hooked up >.>

would you also be wearing an infrared camera and a radio ? also im looking up sdr now and this is cool, im an absolute noob to radio but i just recently decided im going to start studying for a ham license

Marlyn
Poster
Poster

Post by Marlyn »

That's the idea I had in mind! Although most of the "radio" would be the antenna and a little dongle that plugs into a USB hub that connects to a raspberry pi 0 that I'll be using to run everything

The dongle looks like this! The bit on the top right goes into a USB thing and the bit on the other end takes a coax connection that hooks up to any kind of antenna! So I figure the antenna bit could go over my ear (idk maybe I could do something cute with it) while all the USB noise (hub, battery, SDR) could go in a backpack of some sort maybe?

rtl_sdr.jpeg
rtl_sdr.jpeg (52.11 KiB) Viewed 4132 times

I don't believe the device does transmission, though - it's for listening only

Gyro
Batmin
Batmin

Post by Gyro »

This is fascinating!

Making a HUD that can see wifi would be so useful and cool, dunno if that is possible. Keep us all updated!

Is this going to be a modified VR headset? Google Glass? What kind of hardware is going to be involved?

\|/\( .^^.)/\|/
   V  V       <I have no idea what I'm doing!>

Marlyn
Poster
Poster

Post by Marlyn »

The actual display is a "VuFine" as that's simple and just takes a microHDMI input

vufine.jpg
vufine.jpg (120.49 KiB) Viewed 4082 times

it clips onto glasses and it's basically a tiny screen with lenses in it to display a virtual image at the right length so your eye can sorta kinda focus on it kind of
I've been experimenting with it a bit and I can look at it mostly but to understand stuff like text I definitely need to crank the zoom way up

I got the overall idea from this project on adafruit which brought the vufine to my awareness as a possible display option, so the project might take a similar form-factor?
https://learn.adafruit.com/piglass-wear ... i-computer
though it focuses a lot more on a "media center"-oriented view whereas I'm more interested in hooking up sensors to it to display stuff